Level 2 Classical Studies
Teacher in Charge: Dr M. Davison
Ever wondered how the ancient world impacts on the world we live in today? Where the idea for the Hunger Games, Harry Potter or Star Wars originated from? Be transported in time and experience a world full of gods, heroes and mythical creatures. Maybe power, politics or war is more your thing; with great leaders like Alexander the Great, Leonidas, Spartacus, Julius Caesar and Augustus where could you go wrong? Perhaps you are an art history buff or enjoy theatre, maybe you are interested in natural disasters or philosophy’; with Classics you can do it all!
Classical Studies is also about connecting historical heroes and villains and amazing events with the world we live in today. As a multi-disciplined subject that is relevant to now, it could open up a world of opportunities for you in the future.
You will learn to:
• explore the myths of ancient Greece through popular culture
• examine the significance of the art and architecture of Pompeii and Herculaneum
• explore the eruption of Mount Vesuvius and how it preserved an entire civilisation
• develop an understanding of Roman life through power, politics and war
• explore how Greece and Rome influence our modern world, choosing any aspect you are interested in
Taking Classical Studies builds the practical skills required to think critically.
Recommended Prior LearningOpen Entry
Total Credits Available: 20 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 10 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 10 credits.